Wednesday, June 22, 2011

INTRODUCTION

My name is Mirabelle (some call me Belle) and I'm a 39 year old filipino-american, single mother, and anesthesiologist.  Today is my first blog post.  This is about four months shy of my goal of doing a figure contest.  First this is dedicated to the two most important people in my life right now and that is my boyfriend Abel and my son Nathan.  And then to all working women who are tugged by life's demands of motherhood, relationships, work, and health.

On May 9, 2011 I started a very low carb diet.  This was instigated by two factors...first that my calorie restricted diet (when I do stick to it) rarely produces lasting results and usually ends in a few pound weight loss, nothing more.  Second my boyfriend Abel started a low carb diet a week before and started to lose weight.  His goal was to drop percent body fat, preserve muscle, and lose some weight by July 10.  So I started to read about low carb diets (primarily the Atkins diet), and began to modify my diet by eliminating almost all carbs.  The first week was the hardest and I went through fits of headaches, loss of energy.  By the end of two weeks I lost 5 pounds!!!

I was amazed.  I like to consider myself healthy, I eat "sensible" and exercise about 3-5 times per week. I was always considered by others as "petite".   After having a baby, I lost all the weight in a year, but when I stopped breast feeding I slowly put on 10 lbs and failed to lose it since then.  I took up running and did my first half marathon last year.  The most I lost was 4 lbs.  I also noticed that diet had a greater effect of my weight fluctuations than it had when I was "younger".

05/2011 Specs:
Ht:  5'2 1/2"
Wt:  129.5 lbs
BF%:   27

One pound over would put me at "overweight" on the BMI charts.  I was beginning to feel "fat"

No comments:

Post a Comment